Web push notifications are small messages that can appear on your computer when updates are made to a website, if you have opted in to receive them. Web push notifications are helpful as they allow visitors to receive updated information from a website without having to navigate throughout the website. Web push notifications also allow visitors to disable them at any time.
Visitors of the 23andMe website, in the United States, can opt-in to receive push notifications from our 23andMe website. If a visitor opts-in to receive web push notifications on the 23andMe website, that individual may receive a small message notification on the top of their computer screen for certain updates. For instance, a message notification may appear when a new report is introduced, or a discount is available in the 23andMe online store.
Keep in mind that you do not need to have the 23andMe website open to receive these notifications.Also, push notifications are not required to navigate the 23andMe website.
You also have the flexibility of disabling these web push notifications at any time. Below are some instructions about how to opt-out of web push notifications for different internet browsers.
Ensure your browser is updated to the latest version before proceeding with the steps below. Also note, the 23andMe website is optimized for use on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
For step-by-step instructions, please visit this Google Chrome support page.
For step-by-step instructions, please visit this Firefox support page.
For step-by-step instructions, please visit this Safari support page.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Click “Advanced” in the left sidebar and then click “Privacy & Security.”
- Under “Privacy & Security,” click “Site settings.”
- Click “notifications.”
- At the top, turn on or off “Ask before sending (recommended).”
For step-by-step instructions, please visit this Opera support page under section “Manage desktop notifications”.
Internet Explorer 11
- Open the Internet Explorer browser and click on the Tools button which is the gear icon.
- Select the “Privacy Tab”.
- Under “Pop-up Blocker” section of the box, check the box to turn on the Pop-up Blocker or uncheck the box to turn off the Pop-up Blocker.
- Click “Settings” to modify the pop-up settings for a specific website.
For step-by-step instructions, please visit this Microsoft support page.