Except as detailed below or as required by applicable law, payments for kits and/or services (including upgrades) are non-refundable and there are no refunds or credits for partially used kits and/or services.
23andMe+ Membership Service. There are no refunds or credits for partially used 23andMe+ membership periods. If you cancel a membership service, you will continue to have access to the membership service until the end of the applicable membership period.
Please see below for additional return and refund details and/or restrictions for specific products or services.
Help Center FAQs: Refunds, Returns, Restrictions and Exclusions
Unused Personal Genetic Service Test Kits
Requesting a Refund for Unused Personal Genetic Service Test Kits
- To request a refund for an unused Personal Genetic Service test kit or unused Chip Upgrade purchased directly from 23andMe, you must notify us within thirty (30) days of placing your order in 23andMe’s online store and confirm that you have not yet shipped your saliva sample to our laboratory. We must also receive your unused genetic test kit within thirty (30) days of your request for refund. See the “Returning Unused Personal Genetic Test Kits” section for more information.
- Genetic test kits purchased at a conference or event are non-refundable, unless otherwise stated at the point of sale.
- For genetic test kits purchased in the United States from an authorized third party retailer, please consult the retailer’s refund policy to determine if your kit is eligible to receive a refund. The cost of the genetic test kit can only be refunded by the retailer from which you purchased the genetic test kit, and is subject to the retailer’s return and/or refund policy.
Returning Unused Personal Genetic Service Test Kits:
- Each genetic test kit includes a prepaid USPS label affixed to the bottom of the cardboard box. To return your unused genetic test kit for a refund, you will need to remove any shrink wrap and outer sleeve in order to reveal the individual return shipping labels destined for either Burlington, NC or Los Angeles, CA.
- Please do not refuse the package or return it back to sender as this will not route your collection kit to the laboratory and your refund may not be processed.
- At the time your refund is requested and we are able to confirm that your sample has not already begun to be processed by our laboratory, we will invalidate your genetic test kit and any sample sent to our laboratory using that genetic test kit will not be processed.
Refund Form, Processing and Restrictions
Processing and Restrictions:
- Any refunds provided under this policy will be issued to the payment method used for the purchase and will be processed within 21 business days of our Customer Care team confirming that the conditions of the refund have been met.
- In the event 23andMe approves a refund request, we will refund the balance of the total purchase price after subtracting any applicable shipping charges.
- If the purchasing payment method cannot be automatically refunded, a reward email will be sent giving the option to redeem a refund in the form of an e-gift card from a selection of brands available in your region.
- International orders paid for in US dollars (USD) are refunded at the exchange rate for USD effective at the time of the refund request. If a refund is issued after a change to the currency rate, customers may receive a refund amount greater or lesser than what they paid in their local currency. 23andMe is not responsible for currency rate changes that occur after the order is placed.
- If a purchase of two or more kits qualified the applicable order for a discount and you request a refund on part of the order or if a sample fails analysis twice, the discounted kit price will be refunded first.