We're committed to complying with all applicable privacy and data protection laws. We strive to empower our customers to make informed decisions about how their information is used and shared. The new California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) is one of the first general consumer privacy laws in the United States that focuses on the protection of an individual’s personal information. The CCPA is effective on January 1, 2020 and affords specific rights for California residents.
California residents, as defined in Section 17014 of Title 18 of the California Code of Regulations, are individuals who are:
- In California for other than a temporary or transitory purpose
- Domiciled (have their permanent home), in California but are outside the state for a temporary or transitory purpose.
You can read more about your rights as a California resident and how we respect those rights in our Privacy Notice for California Residents. We have also provided a brief overview of some key components of this notice below:
- You have the right to know which categories and pieces of personal information are collected, sold or shared.
- You have the right to access the personal information 23andMe has collected about you.
- You can view your data within your 23andMe account and download your data within your Account Settings.
- You have the right to request that 23andMe delete your personal information, subject to certain exceptions.
- If you are no longer interested in participating in our Service, you can easily delete your account and data within your Account Settings, subject to certain limitations detailed in our Privacy Statement.
- 23andMe does not sell your personal information to third parties.
- 23andMe will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights.
- We will continue to notify and inform you about updates to our data handling practices in our Privacy Statement.
Where can you get more information about the CCPA?
How do I download my data?
23andMe account holders are able to download their account and profile level data from within their Account Settings.
Follow the steps below to download the information you’re interested in:
- Sign in to your 23andMe account.
- Go to your Account Settings page by clicking on your profile name in the upper right hand corner of the screen and select “Settings”, or click here.
- Scroll down to the “23andMe Data” section within your settings and click “View”.
- You will be able to review the available information you would like to download.
Does 23andMe sell my personal information?
The CCPA provides California residents the right to opt-out of having your personal information sold by a business. 23andMe does not sell personal information to third parties.
What do I receive when 23andMe fulfills my data request and how long does this process take?
The data you receive will depend on the categories of data you request. Generally, data is provided in a .zip file containing .csv, .txt, or .pdf documents as appropriate. You can review the categories available within your Account Settings. Once submitted, it may take up to 30 days to complete your request.
How do you use my cookies and how can I change my cookie preferences?
- help us recognize you when you use our Services;
- customize and improve your experience;
- provide security;
- analyze usage of our Services (such as to analyze your interactions with the results, reports, and other features of the Service);
- gather demographic information about our user base;
- offer our Services to you;
- monitor the success of marketing programs; and
- serve targeted advertising on our site and on other sites around the Internet.