Once you have received your saliva collection kit, you will need to register the barcode located on your saliva collection tube so we can connect that tube to you and process your sample. In order to register, you will need to either create a new account or log in to an existing 23andMe account.
- If you are creating a new account, you will be required to confirm your email address and set your account password and security question before you can enter your barcode and register your collection tube.
- If you are registering to an existing account, you will need to know your account email address and password before you can proceed registering your collection tube. If you forgot your password but know the answer to your security question, you can reset your password here.
Note: To begin registration, navigate to https://www.23andme.com/start
Select your issue below:
- Trouble signing in or creating an account
- You are not sure if your barcode is registered
- You are registering multiple saliva collection tubes
- You see an error when you enter your barcode
- You have questions about privacy, research, or sample storage
- You need help finding your barcode
- You mailed your sample to the laboratory without registering it
Trouble signing in or creating an account
This email address is used by another account
If you try to create a new account with the email address of an existing account, you will see the message "This email address is used by another account". Instead of creating a new account, you will need to click Sign In located above the email text field. Here you will enter your email address and password to login. You will then be able to register your kit.
Forgot your password?
Sorry, we are not able to accept your registration at this time
If you receive this message, we encourage you to contact our support team to receive additional instructions.
You are not sure if your barcode is registered
Registration information is saved only once the process is completed and confirmed; you will receive an email confirming that your kit was registered. If you do not receive the email and you are not sure if you completed the registration process, you can check in a few ways:
- If you still have your kit and barcode, enter the barcode on the barcode entry page. If the kit is registered, you will see a message that "this barcode has already been used."
- If you do not have your kit, sign in to your 23andMe account and look for the sample status tile on the homepage. If your kit is registered, your sample status will reflect your kit's progress; if you have not yet registered, you will see "Please Register Your Kit."
- Did you receive a replacement kit after a sample failure or your kit being lost in the mail? Replacement kits are already registered to your account. If you submit a replacement kit barcode, you will see a notice that the kit has already been registered.
You are registering multiple saliva collection tubes
If you are participating with family or other members of your household, make sure that you each register the barcode that corresponds to the kit you use to provide your sample. Registering kits correctly will help avoid delays and issues with returning your results.
You have the option to register kits into a single account under a single email address and password, or to have individual accounts.
We encourage you to review these important considerations before registering multiple family members to a single account.
To begin registration, navigate to https://www.23andme.com/start
You see an error when you enter your barcode
This barcode has already been used
You may have already completed the registration process for this kit. To confirm, either search your email for the registration confirmation message, or sign in to your 23andMe account and look for the sample status tile on the homepage. If your kit is registered, your sample status will reflect your kit's progress; if you have not yet registered, you will see "Please Register Your Kit."
Make sure you are entering the barcode as it appears on the side of your 23andMe collection tube. The barcode is 14 digits and will appear in the following format:
You can enter the barcode either with or without the dashes.
If you are entering the barcode accurately and still receive an "Invalid barcode" message, please contact Customer Care and include your barcode. If you requested a refund or replacement for a kit that you ended up receiving, the barcode may have been invalidated.
The kit has expired
Kits expire 12 months from the date of purchase and will need to be replaced. Contact Customer Care to request a free replacement.
You have questions about privacy, research, or sample storage
23andMe gives you the opportunity to participate in research that could improve understanding of how genetics influences our lives. During registration, you will be asked to make a research consent selection.
Giving consent means that you agree to let 23andMe researchers use your Genetic & Self-Reported Information in an aggregated form by 23andMe and our research partners for scientific research. "Genetic & Self-Reported Information" refers to:
- Your genetic data
- Information you enter into surveys, forms and other features labeled with the 23andMe Research logo
- Data you authorize us to import for research
- Your age and ethnicity
Self-Reported Information includes any information you submitted prior to giving consent. If you have elected to have your saliva sample stored, we may also use the results of further analysis of your sample in 23andMe Research. Your Genetic & Self-Reported Information does not include identifying Registration Information you provided when you purchased the Personal Genetic Service or created an account (such as name, address, email address, user ID, password, or credit card information).
During registration, you will be asked whether or not you would like to store your sample. By electing to store your sample, you are granting 23andMe and its contractors consent to access and analyze your stored sample. This may confer a potential benefit to you and to our research undertakings.
You will have the option to discard your sample at any time after your sample has been processed.
You need help finding your barcode
Your 14-digit barcode number is printed directly on the side of the saliva collection tube included in your 23andMe saliva collection kit.
Make sure you enter the barcode on your collection tube, not the example barcode shown on the registration page. The barcode is 14 digits and will appear in the following format:
You can enter the barcode either with or without the dashes.
If you need to locate your barcode but you have already mailed your sample back to the lab, select the topic "You mailed your sample to the laboratory without registering it" from the list above.
You mailed your sample to the laboratory without registering it
If you purchased your collection kit through 23andMe’s online store and you returned your sample before completing the registration process, you will be able to register your barcode once it arrives at the lab. When your unregistered sample is received at the lab, an email titled "Action Required" will be sent to the email address provided when your order was placed. This email will contain your barcode (see example below), which you can then use to register. To receive the 23andMe Personal Genetic Service, you must register your sample.
If you purchased your collection kit through an authorized retailer, your email address is not connected with the collection tube’s unique barcode so the laboratory is unable to provide you with your kit’s barcode. In order to receive the 23andMe service, a new kit may need to be purchased and a new sample provided. We recommend you contact our support team to learn your options.