If you've been genotyped through our service, you can share your genome with other 23andMe users and compare yourself with them using our various features. To initiate sharing, follow the steps below:
1. Hover over the Family & Friends section in the navigation and select Manage Sharing.
2. Click the Share Your Genome button on the right to bring up the invitation form.
- You will be asked to enter the email address of the person you wish to share with in the invite box.
- If your account contains multiple profiles, you will also be asked to select which profile in your account you would like to share with this person.
- You can share with other users at different levels; either with our without health reports.
- The recipient will get an email prompting them to log in to their account or create a free demo account to accept your sharing invitation.
Searching for Users
You can also search for other 23andMe users by entering their name in the search bar on the genome sharing page:
If they have made their profile public and have opted in to receiving sharing invites, an "invite to share genomes" link will appear next to their name in the search results. From this point on, sharing is the same as described above with regard to selecting profiles, levels of sharing, and how the recipient will receive your invitation.
Your Online Privacy
As with any online account, please remember that the person with whom you are sharing may provide other individuals with access to their account. For example, if you share with a friend, your friend's spouse may also have access to the account and would be able to see the shared information. Also note that 23andMe cannot verify that customer-chosen emails and names represent actual identities. Before sharing, you may want to independently verify that you are sharing with the person you intended, for example by calling them on the phone.