Many 23andMe customers participate with their family members, including parents, siblings, spouses, and more. When registering your kits, you can choose to establish separate accounts for each individual or place all family members in one account. There are a few aspects to consider when choosing which type of account to set up.
If you choose to create separate accounts, then each person would have their own email address and password to log in. Even if you choose to share at the extended level, you would not be sharing the following information:
- Search or download the other person's raw data.
- View the other person's DNA Relatives.
- If applicable, reports that are not compatible with the other person’s account or older versions of reports purchased prior to November 22, 2013.
- If applicable, reports that require an additional consent such as Late-onset Alzheimer’s Disease and Parkinson’s Disease.
Based upon how much information you wish to share and how frequently each person will be logging in, you can choose the method which will work best for you.
If you choose to place all family members in a single account:
- You will all share one email address and one password to log in.
- Only one person can be logged into the shared account at any given time.
- Access to all of each person's genetic data would be available to everyone who shares the account.
- Each person will have a unique profile and each profile would have its own unique set of surveys.
To register a kit into an existing account, click here and enter your account credentials (email address and password).
After entering the kit barcode, you will be prompted to select whether you or someone else will be using the kit in question. In most instances, the individual registering should select "I will be using this kit." You should only select the other option if you will be registering on behalf of someone else, such as a child under 13 who cannot have his or her own account.
Once you have registered profiles into a shared account, you will be able to navigate between profiles by selecting the profile name in the upper right corner and then clicking the Switch Profile option. This will open a menu that displays all other profiles within your account. Click on the name of the profile you would like to view to switch to that profile.