Note: 23andMe can only accept samples returned from countries in which we offer our services, and only from the same country the sample was shipped to.
Before preparing your sample for shipment, make sure you have completed the registration process and replaced the funnel lid with the screw-on cap. Your saliva sample is stable at a wide range of temperatures once it is mixed with the DNA stabilization buffer liquid, but we recommend that you ship your collected sample to the laboratory at your earliest convenience.
To package your sample for return shipment to the lab, follow the instructions below; these are also provided in the physical shipping materials included with your kit.
1. Place your sample tube in the plastic bio-specimen bag and seal.
2. Place the specimen bag into the box. You may discard the plastic clamshell - this is not required for shipment.
3. Place the box into the DHL Padded Pack and seal.
4. Locate the Commercial Invoice and Shipment Waybill paperwork inside the clear sleeve attached to the outside of the padded DHL envelope.
5. Fill out the Commercial Invoice and make 3 copies.
6. Fill out the Shipment Waybill as indicated below:
Section 2 - From (Shipper)
Contact name: Your full name
Address: Your full address, zip code, and phone number
Check "International Non-Document" and also Express / Worldwide *
7. For your records, make a note of your DHL Tracking Number. A return tracking link will also be available from the sample status tile on your profile homepage.
8. Place the Shipment Waybill and all 3 copies (folded) of the Commercial Invoice back in the clear plastic sleeve, Shipment Waybill facing outwards. Do not seal the document sleeve until Waybill has been countersigned by DHL and you receive a receipt.
9. Schedule a pickup by calling your local DHL customer support (numbers listed in the table below). Alternatively the padded envelope can be dropped off at your closest DHL Express location, which you can locate on the DHL website. Do NOT take to DHL Post or to a regular post office.
10. Do not accept "12 hour service" and refuse any insurance DHL offers if asked. 23andMe does not support "12 hour service," and the shipment includes $100 USD of insurance coverage.
Your sample is an EXEMPT human specimen and does not require special handling or paperwork.
DHL EXPRESS CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBERS BY COUNTRY
+586688 (landline) or +010-586688 (from mobile)
+0848-711-711 (Serviced By DHL Switzerland)
+131406 (toll free)
+4934714 or +4934728
+0-22-228002 or +0-22-228007 or +0-22-228053 or +0-22-228056